It’s that time of year again…the 241st American Chemical Society National Meeting and Exposition will be held in Anaheim, California from March 27th – 31st. The theme of this spring’s conference is “Chemistry of Natural Resources” and as we’ve seen at past ACS meetings, once again, olefin metathesis fits nicely with the overall theme and will be well presented in Anaheim. In fact, there will be a 2 day session titled “New Synthetic Developments in Polyolefins and Metathesis Based Materials” that will include talks from Nobel Laureates Bob Grubbs and Richard Schrock, along with some other big players in the world of olefin metathesis including: Ken Wagener, Michael Buchmeiser, Deryn Fogg, Peter Chen, Geoff Coates, Laura Kiessling, and a special shout out to Materia’s own Brian Edgecombe.
Aside from the above mentioned symposium, there are other interesting presentations involving olefin metathesis that I will be excited to attend. Professor Grubbs will be a busy man, giving 3 additional lectures on various topics including applications in both materials and fine chemicals based on the ruthenium systems developed in his laboratories. Likewise, Renee Thomas from the Grubbs’ lab will present her work on N-aryl, N-alkyl NHC Ru-complexes for selective ethenolysis reactions.
The following are also on my wish list to attend:
- Siegfried Blechert’s presentation on diastereoselective and enantioselective ring rearrangement metathesis with applications in natural product synthesis
- Karol Grela’s talk on catalyst development work with synthetic applications
- Presentations from Amir Hoveyda’s lab at Boston College on both Mo and Ru catalyzed olefin metathesis processes
- Elevance Renewable Sciences’ story of using metathesis to refine vegetable oils into higher value products
- Yann Schrodi’s, former Manager of Catalyst R&D at Materia and now a professor at California State University, Northridge, talk about the in-situ syntheses of highly active Ru-catalysts
As usual, Materia will be at the ACS Exposition (Booth # 1115) so please stop by and check us out. If you dare, you can take the metathesis challenge for a chance to win a Materia Catalyst T-shirt!! But stop by early in the show, because it’s a hot commodity. (Trust me!)