The 247th ACS National Meeting and Exposition is less than a month away. The late winter/early spring event is set for Dallas, Texas from March 16-20, 2014. Olefin metathesis has no problem fitting into the meeting’s theme of “Chemistry and Materials for Energy” and keeping with tradition, we here at All Things Metathesis will provide a short overview of some of the noteworthy presentations to add to your itinerary.
First off, Professor Amir Hoveyda from Boston College will receive the ACS Award for Creative Work in Synthetic Organic Chemistry. The symposium in his honor will be on the afternoon of Tuesday, March 18th in the Dallas Convention Center. The lineup commences at 1:30 p.m. with talks from Phil Baran, Abby Doyle and James Morken followed by Prof. Hoveyda giving his award address titled “New concepts, catalysts, and methods for stereoselective olefin metathesis.”
In other Hoveyda Lab news, Rana Kashif M. Khan will be presenting a poster on Tuesday evening where he’ll describe his work aimed at cis-selective Ru-based catalyst systems.
It doesn’t look like Nobel Laureate Dick Schrock will be attending the Dallas conference; however, fellow Nobel Prize winner Professor Bob Grubbs will be there. Bob will be giving two talks in separate honorary symposia. The first will be a catalyst based talk on Sunday afternoon in the ACS Award Symposium honoring Guy Bertrand and T. Don Tilley (FYI…this symposium scheduled for Sunday & Monday afternoon has a great lineup with a who’s who of the inorganic/organometallic chemistry world!). Bob’s second talk will focus on polymer chemistry and is scheduled for Monday afternoon in the symposium honoring Karen Wooley who is receiving the ACS Award in Polymer Chemistry.
Some other interesting looking abstracts with an olefin metathesis focus that I’ve added to my itinerary include:
- Pub #2 describing some ROMP-based aerogels of pDCPD by Abhishek N. Bang from the Missouri University of Science & Technology
- Pub #68 is a poster presentation that will describe cross metathesis for the generation of novel polysaccharide derivatives
- Pub #185 from Christophe Copéret who will present some work towards the development of a well-defined heterogeneous metathesis catalyst
- Pub #323 will describe the influence that thiol protected gold nanoparticles have on ROMP reactions of cyclooctadiene
- Pubs #344, 345, 429, 573 are all ADMET related presentations from the Wagener lab at the University of Florida
- Pub #482 from the Bergbreiter group at Texas A&M describing polyolefins as supports and solvents in Ru-metathesis chemistry
Finally, stop by and visit us at ACS Expo Booth #1615 to learn more about olefin metathesis. You can take our Metathesis Challenge and just for participating we’ll give you a free Materia Metathesis T-shirt!! The word on the street is that this popular item has a catchy new design this year…I guess we’ll have to wait and see!! See all y’all in Dallas!!